Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pageant Week: Day 5

Today was a great day! This morning was the 2012 Miss Black USA Praise & Worship Prayer Breakfast. I really thought it was going to be boring and long, but it really help me grow even closer to my sister queens.






After breakfast and opening prayer, we were blessed to receive the word from our guest preacher in a very moving sermon. Followed by a song from 2011 Miss Black USA Talented Teen Jasmin Sessoms, each queen introduced themselves and was supposed to give their favorite quote. This quickly turned into testimonials of how the Lord had brought each of us through this journey to get to this pageant. We learned of the ups and downs one another faced, and how the Lord brought us through it. It re-enforced the responsibility being queen hold: giving back and giving thanks.

I learned so much this morning about my beautiful sister queens. Tears were definitely following and it made me sad as I realized I would be leaving soon. 

I also had the opportunity to thank my mother. I said, "she pushed me to want more for myself...so I have to push others....I thank her today for giving me her last over and over and for being here with me this week." 

Although we have our moments, my mother is phenomenal and continues to give me her last everyday.

After the breakfast we finally had some downtime! So Dominique took advantage and got some playtime in!


Miss Black Washington USA and I

Washington Memorial

MLK

After playtime it was back to the hotel to attend the 2012 Miss Black USA Talented Teen Pageant. They are our little sisters, and we were front row center to watch and support them. 

These 12 contestants were truly amazing, especially MY teen Tori! I definitely felt mixed emotions when they announced that she did not place, however she was awarded the community service award for outstanding service to the community. I really wanted Team Louisiana to win, but Tori is already a winner. At 13 she founded a nonprofit foundation, was accepted to a prestigious performing arts high school, and has a rocking single available for purchase on iTunes. At 13?! It's crazy! But she is humble and fully aware of her responsibility to the community. 

After the pageant we had rehearsal. 

Finals are creeping uppppp. I have no problem telling the truth:  I'm feeling anxious and unsettled, and prayerful that I make the Top 15. I want to be Miss Black USA 2012 and am anxious for the opportunity to really compete tomorrow. 

Tomorrow morning we will tour the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children before heading to the University of DC Performing Arts Theater for FINALS at 7p! Which shoooould be broadcast live via the Internet from the Miss Black USA website


No comments:

Post a Comment