Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pageant Week: Day 4 (PRELIMS)

It's finally here! Prelim today. This morning we completed Part 1 - Fitness & Evening Gown. For fitness I wore a custom roller derby uniform with rhinestones on the back that said, "Captain", and of course it was my favorite color, purple.




For evening gown, I made a last minute decision to wear one Jovani gown over another, and I'm glad I did. Totally felt like a princess and rocked my walk! Felt really great about both. One great things to witness today was my beautiful sister queens HELPING one another backstage, curling hair, pinning fashion emergencies, and praying together. I was almost moved to tears at one point as I sat back and watched these phenomenal women help each other for this competition. 

It was also nice to see some of the great state directors that were also present this week to help their queens succeed. It's really great when Black women support each other, and it's a shame that more do not -__- 


Besties...Miss Black Illinois (Imani Josey) and Miss Black Washington (Domonique Price)

I couldn't have asked for a better roomie! Miss Black Massachusetts, Lenora Benson

Later in the evening we completed Part 2 of prelims - On-Stage question and Talent. I'm not even going to lie, both parts are now a blur to me! It was so fast!

My on-stage question asked me what would I like to see happen in the future to the long-standing staple "Barbie"....I said growing up I had few positive Black role models and because self-esteem and self-love in young girls is so important and starts at a young age, I would love to see more brown skin Barbies which reflect the vast array of women of color.

Talent....I don't feel I did bad at all. Definitely got the message across the way I intended. My talent was an adaptation of the poem, "The Sociology of the Black Woman". It is a very powerful statement and I'm glad I selected it.

Soooooo now IT's 2:00am and I'm so exhausted. Relieved that prelims are over, but incredibly anxious to find out the Top 15 on Monday. I want more than anything to make Top 15 and compete for the national title. 

Tomorrow we have the Prayer Breakfast and the 2012 Talented Teen Pageant. I'm excited to support my little sister Tori Turner take this pageant by storm!

Also, if you haven't cast your vote for me for People's Choice Award, PLEEEEEASE get on this NOW! Voting ends Sunday, August 12 at midnight! Vote here: www.missblackusa.org Thanks! Goodnight! I'm exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment