Saturday, November 17, 2012

Miss Representation

I am so excited to announce that I am a Louisiana Social Action Rep for MissRepresentation.org! What is Miss Representation?? 

Miss Representation is the award-winning documentary film that exposes how mainstream media contributes to the underrepresentation of women in positions of power and influence in America. The film challenges the media’s limited and often disparaging portrayals of women and girls, which make it difficult for women to achieve leadership positions and for the average woman or girl to feel powerful herself.
Here's the trailer!

MissRepresentation.org is the social action campaign of the documentary film. Its mission is to shift people’s consciousness, inspire individual and community action, and ultimately, transform culture so everyone, regardless of gender, can fulfill their potential.

As a Rep for Louisiana, it is my duty to not only use social media to help girls tell their story, but to be active in the community to influence change.
MissRepresentation.org is a call-to-action campaign that seeks to empower women and girls to challenge limiting labels in order to realize their potential, and to encourage men and boys to stand up to sexism.

Right now, I am working to organize a screening of the film, hopefully at LSU. I have reached out to It Only Takes A Girl activist Gabriella Runnels for her take on how/where I can get this done...there's some licensing to be done to show the film publicly...

Sooooo my work begins! I'm thankful to this campaign for adding new dynamic to my platform! Originally I just wanted to educate women, which is what we're aiming to do with The Cinderella Project, but with Miss Representation I can also help them understand why they need to be leaders, and why they should speak about disparities in education, leadership roles, and the workplace and how the MEDIA affects this. I love these two groups and glad to be working with them both!

Want to get involved in Louisiana?? Shoot me an email and let's chat it up about how you can help me make a community impact! There's much to do! MissLAIntl2013@gmail.com 


Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment