Thursday, March 21, 2013

Miss Louisiana International 2013 Announces Platform

Every time I do a speaking engagement on education, I always start with this: "I am a first generation college graduation, and I am living, walking proof, that getting an education matters."

Why start with this?? I want people to truly understand they are not limited by history or by their circumstances. No, my parents did not go to college. Yes, they have careers, but it's definitely not where they would be had they been to college. With my Masters of Public Administration I work as a Legislative Analyst for the Louisiana House of Representatives. More importantly, I AM EXACTLY WHERE I WANT TO BE in my career.

As Miss Louisiana International 2013, it is my duty to promote the need for improving educational outcomes for young girls and women. Education is important for everyone, but it is especially significant for women. Educational achievements for women have ripple effects within the family and across generations. My platform was nationally published in USA Today last year, but this time around I've decided to fine tune it and focus on GIRLS:

1. Ensuring girls are enrolled in Pre-K, as research shows Pre-K enrollment leads to higher academic success well into adulthood.
2. Improving K-12 performance in young girls, as poor academic preparation is the #2 reason college freshman do not return their sophomore year.
3. Informing young women of the power they hold legislatively and ensuring they take part in the "politics of education" by becoming aware of how they affect education policy.

This is my mission for my reign as queen and something I intend to continue as Miss International if crowned queen. I am proud to be a voice for something so important in Louisiana and nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment