Thursday, September 29, 2011

SG Works For STUDENTS

Last night my resolution against a "no laptop policy" in classrooms passed favorably in the Student Senate. As a Graduate School Senator I am here to put STUDENT needs first, not faculty.



 This is not about respect for faculty or lack thereof; this is about maintaining student productivity throughout the semester. Although we understand that some students will  indeed abuse the use of laptops in the classroom to Facebook, watch movies, etc., we must remember that this is Louisiana State University, NOT high school. Each of us PAID to be here. Our class attendance and when/if we pay attention in class is solely elective. A student’s failure to use technology at hand to remain productive and attentive in class will be reflected in their grades. As adults, you make the decision to productively continue your academic career.

Although we recognize and respect that faculty each has their own individual approach to teaching, students also have their own approach to learning. For me, I always read in advance, type my own notes, and add to them during the class. With my own notes in front of me, I can see notations that I made to ask the teacher to clarify something, I am more organized, and even more dynamic in my note taking – if this particular lecture requires a chart/graph/table, I can make one, right then and there. But I also understand what works for me, may not work for a fellow classmate, so prohibiting laptop use in the classroom is operating under the misconception that everyone learns the same way.

Many feel this policy protects "academic freedom" of faculty, but I feel it infringes on my right as a student to learn as effectively as possible.


And a major shout out to my co-author Ms. Roben West. She's moving and shaking and I'm very proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment