Monday, November 28, 2011

Miss Black Louisiana USA 2012 in the news...

The following is a Monroe News Star article written about me prior to my official crowning. Big thanks to Rob Landry for this awesome article! The link at the bottom will bring you to the Monroe News Star website. The comment section had me down in the dumps, but a good friend told me to keep pushing and do what I know is right, and I will!

"Changing a social cycle is always difficult to initiate, especially when that cycle deals with education.
But LSU graduate student and Miss Black Louisiana USA 2012 contestant Ashley Hebert hopes her pageant platform evokes the kind of change that she believes Louisiana's higher education system needs.
"My platform focuses on improving the state of higher education in Louisiana. Our students are failing, and our government and leaders are failing the students."

Hebert, a Lafayette native, has taken a three-pronged approach to changing the state of higher education for African-Americans in the state.
» Inform people about the advantages children that have a pre-kindergarten education get. The LA 4 Pre-kindergarten Evaluation shows children enrolled in pre-K classes test one year ahead in literacy, language and math skills from children not enrolled.
» Making sure mentoring and tutoring sessions are readily available to African-American children in grades K-12.
» Getting the African-American community informed and involved in the political process and the effects it has on education through voter registration sessions.

"I know I'm only one person, and I cannot 'change the world,'" she says. "... but I can most definitely try."
Hebert hosted her first community service project on Oct. 16 in Baton Rouge. Named, "Get Jazzed About Reading," it was a literacy rally and included celebrity readers, word bingo, a jazz band and information and sessions for parents.

"Education is the key, and I hope to affect the life of at least one child."

No comments:

Post a Comment